Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

SOAP!

No, I'm not talking about the soap we use to wash with, but rather a method to studying the Bible. Until recently, I had never heard of the SOAP method. SOAP - S/Scripture, O/Observation, A/Application, and P/Prayer. I am using this method to study the book of James right now along with some other ladies from an online group. I will share more about that later. Each day I read a verse or two, I write out the verses (S). I write out my observations (O). Next, I write out how I can apply what I just read (A). Lastly, I write some things that I am praying about that day/ask God to help me with what I have just read (P). At the end of the study I will have written out the entire book of James in my notebook.

I can't tell you how much studying the Bible in this way has helped me. I have studied the Bible in various ways before. Honestly, a lot of times I would just read several chapters and close it, barely remembering what I had just read, let alone thinking about how to apply it to my life. I only wish someone had shared this with me sooner! I enjoy my reading everyday and when I am finished with the book of James, I plan to carry on with a different book of the Bible using the SOAP method as well.

So how do you study your Bible?  Have you ever used the SOAP method?  Remember to just share it with others...you never know who you may help along the way.  Thankful someone shared it with me!

Kristen

2 comments:

  1. I haven't used the SOAP method, but I'm going to tonite for my devotions! I'm now following! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen,

    Ohhhh I'm so glad you are enjoying the James Study and learning so much through the SOAP method!!! You blessed my heart reading your post today! Keep up the great work!

    Love God Greatly!
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete